Thank you for your interest in adopting a shelter dog from Home At Last Humane Society. Placing the right animal into the right home is our top priority and we strive to make lasting matches for the animals in our care. When you adopt from us, you are giving a homeless animal a second chance at love.
Our Adoption Fees:
Our adoption fees vary on a per animal basis and are listed in the animal descriptions.
Our Adoption fees include:
- Free health exam donated by local veterinarians
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Vaccines to date (DHPP, Bordetella, Rabies if old enough, de-worming
- Microchip identification and ID tag
- 30 Days of free pet insurance
Once you’ve decided that you’d like to adopt, here are some things HALHS suggests:
- Learn about different breeds and mixes. Which traits will work best for you?
- Are you ready for a dog?
- Find a dog that is compatible with you, your home and your lifestyle – now and in the future. You may not find the perfect pet for you on your first visit. That’s okay! Don’t get discouraged…it may take some time, but that new pet who is just right for you is out there, and hoping that you don’t give up.
- Spend quality time interacting with the dog you’d like to adopt. Many times an animal’s behavior is different when away from other animals or in a kennel. The animal displaying bad manners or not paying attention may just be scared and lonely!
- Have your home set up to accommodate your new pet before it arrives (fences repaired, crate set up, supplies ready, etc.). It will help make the transition smoother for both of you.
- Be prepared for an adjustment period. It’ll take some time (usually, two weeks) for you and your pet to get to know each other well. We are here to help, but patience and understanding is key!
You’ll also want to commit to being a responsible dog owner. This will include:
- Provide the necessary time and love on your dog.
- Understanding the financial commitment involved.
- Providing the necessary medical care and exercise for your dog.
- Training to ensure good behavior and manners.
To adopt an animal, you must be at least 21 years of age. Please allow ample time and patience when adopting. Remember, it takes time to meet your match! Please allow 45 to 90 minutes for the adoption process.
What to bring when adopting:
- The entire family should meet the animal before adoption, try to bring all family members.
- Driver’s license or valid I.D.
- If you do not own your home, you will need to contact your landlord or property management and confirm ability to have pets. Make sure you have paid all deposits and fees before you adopt.
- Your current dog, we require a dog-to-dog meeting at our facility before finalizing an adoption. Just be sure that you have someone who can wait with your dog as you meet our adoptable pets if it isn’t appropriate weather to leave the dog in your car.
For a fee of $25.00, potential adopters can place a 24-hour hold on an animal they wish to adopt. The hold fee is not refundable, but will be applied to the adoption fee of the animal you placed the hold on. Holds are only placed on animals if you have an application on file. A credit card is required for holds placed over the phone.
We will accept requests for specific breed of animals. We cannot guarantee when a certain breed will arrive in our care or be available for adoption. To submit a breed specific request, click here for our online request form. Please also be as specific or as general as you like in describing the kind of pet for which you are searching.